Annual Wellness Exams
Depending on your insurance or your employer, you may be required to get an annual wellness exam every year. Whether that is the case or not, an annual wellness exam is a good idea because it can help detect potential health issues early when you can do something about it.
During a routine wellness visit your doctor will check:
- Your height and weight
- Blood pressure
- Ask you questions about your health, do you smoke etc
- Ask about any medications you are taking, both prescription and over the counter
- Ask about your families health history
- Order blood tests to check for high cholesterol, blood sugar levels etc
- Talk to you and give advice on how to lower your risk for any health concerns or risk factors found.
Your primary care doctor is someone you can trust. Sometimes talking about an issue you are experiencing may be embarrassing. Just remember that your doctor wants to help you, not judge you, and they can only do that if you speak up and are completely honest with them.